Leave your drones and most of your belongings at home. Check for traffic troubles, wait times and road closings on the app WAZE.
With the first University of Kentucky home football game looming, campus and city leaders and police reminded fans Tuesday what they can and cannot do at and around Commonwealth Stadium before, during and after the 7:30 p.m. game Saturday.
UK police emphasized that, because of FAA regulations, the area around Commonwealth Stadium is a restricted flight area where drones are not permitted. Last September, a drone belonging to a UK law student crashed into the stadium during a football game.
New for 2016 is the UK police partnership with social media travel application Waze to help streamline game day commutes, Chief Joe Monroe said. The application, which is available through the Apple App Store and Google Play, allows a network of community members to alert drivers of road hazards, traffic jams and other events that might snarl traffic.
Never miss a local story.
Additionally, there have been several changes in parking assignments for the upcoming season for season ticket holders, according to UK. Details of the parking changes are listed at the UK Athletics Game Day website at ukatheticsgameday.com. Non-permit parking will be available in UK parking structures 2, 3 and 6. Limited non-permit parking will also be available on Cooper Drive.
Parking structure 2 is at 315 Hilltop Avenue, structure 3 is at 140 Huguelet Drive and structure 6 is at 721 Press Avenue.
Monroe reminded drivers to have their parking permits prominently displayed in their windshields; arrive early; and consult the @ukgamedayinfo Twitter account for updates.
More tips and rules:
- Backpacks and bags larger than 13.5 inches by 10 inches by 7 inches are prohibited.
- Attendees are encouraged to take as few personal items as possible.
- Parking on university green space, city streets or in residential yards is not permitted.
- Traffic updates will be available over the radio on 1700 AM.
- Permitted parking lots will open at 8 a.m. on game days.
- Other prohibited items include outside food and drinks; weapons; noisemakers; laser pointers; tobacco; pets; portable heaters; and selfie sticks.
- LexTran will be operating shuttles between downtown and campus on game days in addition to regular routes.
- Tow-behind trailers are not permitted to park on paved surface lots within the stadium complex unless an additional parking permit has been obtained for the trailer.
- Set up for tents and tow-behind trailers is not permitted until 12 p.m. Friday on game week. Removal of tents and tow-behind trailers must be complete by 12 p.m. Sunday following game day.
- Unopened bottles of water smaller than one liter are permitted inside Commonwealth Stadium and complimentary water is available at concession stands.
- All people entering the stadium are subject to search.
- Personal chair backs 18 inches or smaller in width are permitted.
- Use of tobacco products is prohibited on UK’s campus, including the stadium and surrounding areas.
- Small collapsible strollers that can fit under a stadium seat are permitted.
- Camera lenses over 6 inches and detachable lenses are not permitted.
- Service animals are permitted in the stadium when accompanied by guests with disabilities or a trainer.
- Per SEC policy, guests will not be able to exit and re-enter the stadium on game day.