FRANKFORT — A two-member panel of the Kentucky Parole Board on Tuesday denied parole to Glenn Doneghy, convicted of second-degree manslaughter in the 2010 death of Lexington police officer Bryan Durman.
Doneghy, 37, will be eligible to seek parole again in two years.
Brandy Durman, widow of Bryan Durman, said, "Today was everything I had hoped for, that Mr. Doneghy will remain in prison to think about what he has done. ... It is a huge weight off of our shoulders to know that he will be behind bars for another two years."
Doneghy, who appeared before parole board members Sarah Johnson and Amanda Spears via a teleconferencing link from Little Sandy Correctional Complex in Sandy Hook, took the decision in stride. The Durman family and police colleagues spoke to the parole board Monday and had delivered a petition with more than 11,800 names opposing Doneghy's release.
Johnson and Spears deliberated for five minutes before rendering their decision. Had they not been in agreement, the decision would have gone to the full nine-member parole board next week.
"At this time we do not feel like you are a good risk for parole," Johnson told Doneghy. "Due to the seriousness of your crime, the violence that was involved, the fact that a life was taken, your history of prior misdemeanor convictions, your history of drug and alcohol involvement, and your history of assaultive behavior, we are deferring your case today."
During Tuesday's hearing, Doneghy appeared on camera wearing a white kufi, or skull cap. He said little about the Durman case. Although the Kentucky Supreme Court unanimously upheld his manslaughter conviction in 2013, Doneghy has a pending motion that seeks to set aside the conviction.
"I was alleged to have been the driver of a vehicle that struck an officer," Doneghy said. Because of the pending motion, Doneghy said he was "not at liberty to discuss my case."
But later, he said, "There is always sympathy any time a life is lost." And he said, "I'm alleged to have been involved in a thing considered as an accident. If human beings can't consider our moving from one instance in life to another instance in life, then who is eligible for anything, you know?"
Durman, 27, was struck by a sport utility vehicle belonging to Doneghy on North Limestone while investigating a noise complaint on April 29, 2010. Durman died a short time later. In addition to his wife, he is survived by an 8-year-old son, Brayden.
Doneghy was required to serve 20 percent of the 20-year sentence before he could become eligible for parole.
The Kentucky legislature passed a bill last year called the Bryan Durman Act that requires anyone convicted of second-degree manslaughter of a clearly identified police officer or firefighter to serve 85 percent of the sentence.
Because the law was enacted after Doneghy was sentenced, that law didn't affect Doneghy's parole eligibility.
Asked what he would do if released, Doneghy said he would live with his twin sister in Lexington and would pursue a barber's license as well as carpentry training. He said he had completed a substance-abuse program and an anger-management program while in prison.
Brandy Durman said she thinks Doneghy isn't sorry for his actions.
"He has not accepted responsibility," she said.
Durman said she is prepared to go before the parole board again in two years, "and we'll be ready."
"As long as we have to fight to keep men like him in jail, we will be here," she said.
Durman said she doesn't think Doneghy can be rehabilitated for life outside prison. "His lifelong criminal history speaks for itself," Durman said. "My husband chose a life to serve his country and to serve others. He (Doneghy) has chosen a life of crime and to hurt others."