A public safety alert issued last week on the Eastern Kentucky University campus was canceled because the alleged victim recanted her statement, EKU police said Tuesday.
EKU police have closed their investigation into the Sept. 27 report that a young woman felt threatened by two men in a car at VanHoose Drive and Kit Carson Drive.
EKU police referred further questions to university spokesman Marc Whitt. Whitt said he had no information that the woman would be prosecuted for falsely reporting an incident.
This is the second time in about six months that a public safety alert at EKU was called off after the alleged victim recanted.
Never miss a local story.
In early April, a woman who reported an assault on campus later told police that the assault did not happen. That woman was not prosecuted for falsely reporting an incident either.
Whitt said Tuesday it is standard procedure for safety bulletins to be issued when such a report comes in to EKU police.