The Bluegrass Railroad Museum celebrated the completion of the Back to the River project with a golden spike ceremony on May 10.
A Transportation Enhancement Historic Restoration grant funded 80 percent of the project; the remaining 20 percent was given by museum members in the form of labor and donations.
Highlights of the restoration project included reconstruction of a 108-foot long, 18-foot tall antique timber trestle; replacement of more than 5,100 wooden cross ties that required the driving of more than 20,000 spikes; spreading more than 5,000 tons of fresh limestone ballast; clearing out ditches; and cutting back overgrown brush and trees.
The improved drainage will extend the life of the newly installed ties and make the train ride smoother. A 1950s vintage first-class passenger car also has been added to the train.
Never miss a local story.
The Bluegrass Railroad Museum offers passenger train rides at 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Go to BluegrassRailroad.com for information and tickets.
Woman's club honors
The Midway Woman's Club held its annual awards dinner May 10 at 815 Prime in Midway.
Woodford County High School senior Anne-Haley Pendleton of Versailles was named the 2012 MWC scholarship winner and Debra Shockley was named 2012 Clubwoman of the Year for her work creating and organizing the club's fashion show.
During the dinner, officers and trustees for the 2012-13 club year, the club's 90th, were installed. Officers are Janice Holland, president; Amanda Glass, vice president; Kelly Brengelman, corresponding secretary; Jennifer Embry and Christy Ellis, co-recording secretaries; and Tonya Steele, parliamentarian. Trustees will be Debra Shockley (chair), Sarah J. Wilson and Laura Gray.