Lexington firefighters and other officials are investigating an explosion at a back-yard storm shelter at 1609 Glover Avenue.
No one was injured in the blast, which occurred shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday, Lexington fire Major Mike Tracy said.
A man at the home was pumping out water that had seeped into the underground shelter in the middle of his back yard, Tracy said.
Several batteries, used for backup power, were stored in the shelter. Tracy said the blast blew open the door to the shelter and created a moderate amount of fire inside. Authorities were still at the scene at 11:30 a.m.