A family of seven was displaced when their Winchester home caught fire Wednesday morning.
A family member found the fire about 8:30 a.m. at 14 Lincoln Street on the edge of the downtown area. The family was renting the home.
When the Winchester Fire Department arrived, flames were visible through the second-story windows, and smoke had filled the house, Battalion Chief Kenneth Williamson said.
Firefighters worked for about an hour to bring the fire under control. After the worst flames were out, they had to extinguish flames that had crept into walls and floors, he said. The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical malfunction.
Never miss a local story.
The family did not have working smoke detectors, but a family member who saw the smoke was able to get everyone out safely. Four children, their parents and the brother of one of the parents were living in the home.
Williamson said the American Red Cross had provided the family with a hotel room while their landlord finds them another place to stay.