A nine-month-old baby died this week after getting a hold of cough medicine.
Harlan County Coroner Philip Bianchi said up to four capsules of a medicine called Tessalon Perles were “left inadvertently” on a coffee table at the baby’s home in the Cumberland area.
State police are investigating the death, which happened Tuesday.
An autopsy was performed, but toxicology results won’t be available for a while.
Never miss a local story.
At this point, Bianchi said, there’s no evidence of injury, but nothing has been ruled out yet.
According to the Web site webmd.com, the medicine “works by reducing the reflex in the lungs that causes the urge to cough.”
It is not recommended for children under the age of 10.