Residents of about 30 apartments were displaced Tuesday after a fire broke out at a Jennifer Road complex.
No one was injured in the blaze, which was spotted about 12:45 p.m. by a maintenance worker at a neighboring building.
David Haggard said he noticed thick gray smoke drifting from the roof. He and several others called 911 and ran into the building to alert people who were at home, he said.
Fire department Battalion Chief Brent Frizzell said the fire was confined mostly to an attic. Only a few apartments were damaged, but the entire building was vacated after code enforcement officers found a problem with the electrical wiring in the building, he said.
Never miss a local story.
It was unclear whether the wiring problem was related to the fire. Fire inspectors remained at the apartment complex Tuesday evening.
Residents will have to stay elsewhere for at least one night, he said.
Nearby Eastland Church of God donated shelter space for those unable to stay with family and friends.