At least one person was displaced after a fire damaged an apartment in Lexington on Thursday.
No one was home when the fire broke out at a second story apartment at The Studio Apartments at Henry Clay on Dinsmore Drive.
Neighbors Jerald Shepherd and Brandon Sheets tried to kick in the door to the apartment in case someone was trapped inside, but the door was deadbolted and wouldn't budge, they said.
Fire Major Jeff Nantz said the apartment's sole resident was not home.
Never miss a local story.
Shepherd and Sheets said it looked as if the heating and air conditioning unit had caught on fire, but firefighters had not determined a cause Thursday night.
The resident of the apartment that caught fire will have to stay elsewhere, Nantz said. The neighboring unit had smoke damage, and it was unclear whether that apartment's residents could return.