A disposable grill sparked a fire that damaged a home on Bishop Drive early Wednesday.
Firefighters said a woman was grilling about 4:30 a.m. on a deck at 538 Bishop Drive, off Russel Cave Road. The grill apparently sparked a fire that damaged the deck and spread into the walls and into the attic of the home, Lexington fire Battalion Chief Ed Davis said.
Nobody was injured. Firefighters quickly put out the fire, but they had to break into the walls and roof, he said.
Davis said the disposable grill had been placed directly on the deck. Instructions included with the grills — typically a charcoal-filled foil pan with a wire metal stand — say to put the grill on a non-flammable surface.
Never miss a local story.
Davis said investigators didn't know why the woman was grilling so early in the morning, but that there was nothing suspicious about her story. Side items were cooking inside the house.