A 16-year-old boy was taken to University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital on the Fourth of July after a pit bull bit him in the groin.
Lexington paramedics were called to a fireworks stand behind the Thornton's at 2300 Woodhill Drive at 7:36 p.m., fire department Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said. The victim's identity was not released.
"Apparently a male juvenile, age 16, was walking over there and the dog was chained to a post, but he got close enough and the dog bit him," Lt. Hunter Faulconer said. "The juvenile was transported to the hospital for treatment of moderate injuries. I don't think it was that extreme. ... Nothing was amputated. They put an ice pack on him."
Megan Childers of Lexington, who was operating the fireworks stand, said her 2-year-old dog Saint had bitten a boy in the groin. Childers said the dog had been staked to the ground on a leash behind the tent. Animal control cited Childers' fiance, Terry Spencer of Winchester, for having a dog without a license.
Never miss a local story.
Childers said they were told to take the dog home and keep it quarantined. They will have to go to court to answer the citation, she said.
"His mother was hollering, 'I'm going to kill your dog, I'm going to kill your dog!'" Childers said. "I understand where she's coming from — she's a mother."