Lexington firefighters are trying to pinpoint the cause of a fire that forced several residents out of an apartment complex early Tuesday morning.
The blaze was discovered about 12:45 a.m. at the Grand Reserve Apartments on Clearwater Way, said Chief Joe Best of the Lexington Division of Fire and Emergency Services.
Best said a car that was parked just outside a ground-level garage somehow caught fire. The blaze then spread to the building, he said.
A couple who lived in the complex went onto a balcony to avoid the flames, Best said. The man jumped to the ground, then he pulled a pickup truck next to the building so the woman could get onto it.
Never miss a local story.
At that point, firefighters arrived and helped the woman get down safely, Best said.
He said there was fire damage to the outside of the apartment building, and smoke damage inside.
Several residents were forced to evacuate the building, and it isn't clear when they will be able to return, firefighters said.