Two families were offered temporary housing after their two-story homes on Deer Lake Circle were significantly damaged in a blaze Thursday morning, Lexington fire officials said.
A couple with an 8-week-old baby were in one building while a woman occupied the other. The homes were detached with six to eight feet of space in between.
The baby's mother, Victoria White, said she heard an explosion outside before the fire. The family made it outside and the pet, a cat, was found unharmed by firefighters, White said.
Neighbor Aubree Moore said she thought the fire started in an outside heating unit.
Never miss a local story.
The fire was on the exterior of one of the houses and then traveled to the second home, said Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said. During the holidays when families have gathered and Christmas presents have been exchanged, fires can be particularly hard for families, Nantz said.
"It's tragic any time but it's more so around the holidays," Nantz said.
There was significant damage in one home and moderate damage in the other, Nantz said.
With repairs and cleaning, both houses could be habitable in about a month, Nantz said.