Lexington firefighters spent almost four hours Wednesday morning sorting out the source of smoke at an animal feed mill.
They eventually located the problem in a large feed conveyer at Farmers Feed Mill Inc., 291 West Loudon Avenue, Battalion Chief Joe Best said.
Some feed smoldering inside the conveyor system produced the smoke, and also caused some damage to the conveyor's belt, according to Best.
"It took a long time to find because part of the system was inaccessible," he said.
Never miss a local story.
Farmers Feed officials said they think the fire was started by welding done in connection with an equipment upgrade. The blaze apparently smoldered overnight, they said.
Fire units went to the mill about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, after smoke was reported coming from a large feed storage bin. They didn't clear the scene until almost 11:30 a.m.
Company officials said the damage might cost one or two days of production time. Normal operations should resume next week, the said.
Farmers Feed produces grain feeds, mainly for the equine industry.