One of the five people shot during a basketball tournament at Douglass Park last weekend has died, and Lexington officials are considering moving the tournament.
Brenna Angel, a city spokeswoman, said "the location of the Dirt Bowl event is being reviewed" because of recent events. A new, permanent location for the event has not been determined, she said.
However, additional Dirt Bowl games will be held at Dunbar Community Center this weekend because the lights are not working properly at Douglass Park, city officials said.
The five people were shot about 9:15 p.m. Sunday. Several officers were at the park when they heard multiple gunshots, police have said.
Never miss a local story.
Three victims were taken by ambulance to University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital. Two others arrived at hospitals in private vehicles.
Kwame El-Amin, 42, died Thursday at 8:44 p.m. at UK Hospital after he was shot in the park, according to the Fayette County coroner's office.
El-Amin's slaying was the city's 10th homicide of the year. Three remain unsolved.
Lexington police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts said a homicide investigation has been opened.
As of Friday, police had little information to go on regarding the park shooting and asked the public for help to identify possible suspects, she said.
El-Amin's family has set up an account online to help pay for funeral expenses. He was buried Friday afternoon at the Cove Haven Cemetery, according to the page.
Friends of El-Amin are planning a fundraiser Sunday to help with medical and funeral costs, said Linda Fogle, founder of Bikers Against Violence, a group of motorcycle riders. The group is planning to stand at corners with buckets throughout Lexington from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday to help El-Amin's family.
The Dirt Bowl League has been played in the park since the early 1970s. It culminates in Super Sunday, a championship that is traditionally held during the third weekend in July.
It was unclear whether El-Amin or the other four people shot were the intended targets. Details regarding the victims would come out during the investigation, Roberts said.
Shaun Washington, a son of Herb Washington who helped to create the Dirt Bowl, said it's time for the community to get their park back. He's been going to the park since the 1960s, he said.
"You know, I love this town. I love Lexington. ... But the community has to pull together and do more," he said. "I want it to be a place like it was in the old days when everyone would have just a wonderful time, sit around and have fun and just talk."
The day after the shooting, Washington said he rode by the park and for the first time he didn't see anybody at the park.
"It really broke my heart to see that," he said. "We're not here for a long time, but for a good time."
On Monday, Mayor Jim Gray said police were looking for any witnesses of the shooting and were working to determine a motive. Police were working with the NAACP and community leaders to combat the violence that appears to intensify during the summer, he said.
Earlier this month, nine people were shot — and three died — in five shootings within 72 hours.
Montez Graves, 31, and his uncle, Ronnie Graves, 54, were both shot inside two separate vehicles. Jermaine Anderson, 21, has been charged with murder and first-degree assault in connection with the death of Montez Graves.
A few days later, Thomas W. Brown, 55, was shot several times as he slept in his bed with his wife at their home on Gerald Drive.