Two people were displaced from their homes for the night after a small fire led to water damage from sprinklers in an apartment complex for residents 62 and older.
A stovetop sprinkler doused a cooking fire on the fourth floor of the Lexington Housing Authority's Ballard Tower, Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Joe Best said.
"There was water flowing, and basically the food on the stove caught on fire," Best said. Firefighters went to the apartment complex about 12:30 a.m. Monday.
The fire caused sprinklers on the first four floors to go off, and 14 apartments were damaged by water.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters worked for three hours removing water from the complex, which houses about 300 people. It's off West Second Street near West Main Street and Newtown Pike.
Residents were expected to be able to return to their homes within the next day or two.