The Lexington Fire Department warned residents Tuesday to be wary of fundraising scams falsely tied to local firefighters.
In the past four days, someone posed as a representative of the Lexington Fraternal Order of Firefighters and the fire department and solicited donations at a home near Man o’ War Boulevard and at a business on Winchester Road, according to the fire department.
Anyone raising money for the organizations will have a badge or other correct identification, the department warned.
The department provided the following tips to identify false donation requests:
Never miss a local story.
- Ask for identification from fundraisers.
- Ask how the contribution will be used. Try to get written information.
- Verify fundraisers by contacting the organization.
- Use caution if a fundraiser suggests that donors will receive special treatment.
- Don’t br intimidated into giving a donation. Intimidation tactics could be a sign of a scam.