Last week, Gov. Steve Beshear and a state economist took Republican gubernatorial candidate Hal Heiner to task for saying that Kentucky had lost 20,000 jobs over the last two years.
Since then, Commissioner of Agriculture James Comer's claim that Kentucky had lost 50,000 jobs had disappeared from his campaign website.
"Kentuckians are frustrated at the lack of good-paying jobs in Kentucky," the website said last week. "In fact, Kentucky has lost nearly 50,000 jobs over the last two years."
On Monday morning, the second sentence was gone.
Never miss a local story.
Edwin King, director of Comer's campaign for governor, said Monday that the claim should have specified that 50,000 Kentuckians had dropped out of the labor force, which is why Beshear and his folks took issue with Heiner's numbers.
King said the campaign was making some "cosmetic" adjustments to the site.
Looking at labor force participation does not tell the whole story, according to Beshear and his team, who say that other stats show an increase in jobs over the past two years. In essence, there are more jobs but fewer people working in them as an increasing percentage of the population retires, goes back to school or is disabled, according to the state.
King said Comer's website was being fixed to include the participation caveat. By Monday afternoon, after the Herald-Leader had inquired about the change, the sentence was updated:
"Kentuckians are frustrated at the lack of good- paying jobs. In fact, Kentucky has lost nearly 50,000 people in its work force over the last year."