Add Kentucky gubernatorial candidate Matt Bevin's name to the list of Republicans who have received campaign donations from a white supremacist referenced in the manifesto of the man who allegedly shot and killed nine people last week in Charleston, S.C.
Politico first reported Tuesday that Bevin received a $500 contribution from Earl Holt, president of the Council of Conservative Citizens, in December 2013, when Bevin was challenging U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the 2014 Republican primary.
Bevin won the GOP nomination for Kentucky governor this spring after losing badly to McConnell last year. He faces Democratic nominee Jack Conway in the November general election.
Bevin, who is white, heads a ticket with lieutenant governor candidate Jenean Hampton, who is black. Bevin has nine children, four of whom are adopted and black.
Never miss a local story.
Bevin's campaign manager, Ben Hartman, said Tuesday that Bevin and Hampton will each donate $500 to a scholarship fund for minority students.
"Matt received over 38,000 individual contributions during his race for the U.S. Senate," Hartman said in a statement. "While Matt's Senate campaign ended over a year ago and both the account and committee are now closed, Matt and Jenean will each be making a $500 contribution to the Warren County NAACP scholarship fund."
Holt has contributed to dozens of Republicans, most of whom spent Monday racing to donate the money to charitable causes.
U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, a 2016 presidential candidate, was among that group, receiving $1,750 for his political action committee.
Paul's staff said Monday that the senator was donating the money to the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund to assist families of the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church shooting victims.