HARRODSBURG — A Mercer County pool reopened Friday after a chlorine leak Thursday night sickened more than 30 children and adults.
The pool at Anderson-Dean Community Park north of Harrodsburg reopened about 1:45 p.m. Friday after management received approval from the county health department, said park manager Mark Bryant.
"The health department gave us a clean bill," Bryant said.
The children and adults suffered coughing and vomiting shortly after a birthday party began at 7 p.m. Thursday. Some complained of burning skin and eyes.
"Kids were just running out of the pool, throwing up," said Jamie Griffieth, the mother of 8-year-old Bailey, the boy who was having the birthday party. "My 8-year-old was going in and out of consciousness. It was bad. ... My throat was on fire, and I was nowhere near the water.
"People's eyes were watering and you could smell it. ... Every kid here was foaming at the mouth."
A 4-year-old boy who has asthma was admitted to University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, where he was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon. Thirty-four people were treated for respiratory problems at James B. Haggin Memorial Hospital in Harrodsburg and released, said Dr. Earl Motzer, CEO of the hospital.
Those affected by the chlorine went through a "decontamination" process with a thorough washing at the park property and at the hospital, Motzer said.
A thunderstorm knocked out power to the pool around 3 p.m. Thursday, and it remained closed until the birthday party, Bryant said.
When the pool reopened at 7 p.m. and the pump was turned back on, "we just got a large amount of chlorine that went into the pool," Bryant said.
"I kicked the pump on and walked out, and ... there were people coughing and a couple that I saw threw up," Bryant said.
"It was like something like you would see on an episode of ER," Jamie Griffieth said.
Bailey Griffieth, who turned 8 Wednesday, and his brother, Denim, 5, were both fine Friday. Bailey didn't have much to say about how the party turned out.
But he did tell his mother, "Mom, we should have picked somewhere else."