Two brothers were flown to the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital on Monday night with burns and inhalation injuries after a fire in Estill County.
Irvine fire Chief Chris Mitchell said it was likely that one of the brothers fell asleep in bed with a lit cigarette that caught the mattress on fire. The blaze spread.
When the fire department arrived at the Crestview Court home, he said, a man refused to leave the house, and they had to pull him out forcibly.
The Estill police used a Taser on him to keep him from going back in the house, Mitchell said. His brother was burned on his face and suffered smoke inhalation while trying to rescue him.
Never miss a local story.
Mitchell said the first man suffered burns over 67 percent of his body.
The fire was contained to the bedroom, but other parts of the house had smoke and water damage, he said.