Hospitals were seeing more injuries from people slipping on the ice Wednesday morning and some cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The University of Kentucky emergency room treated four people for carbon monoxide poisoning, said Dr. Seth Stearley, the attending physician. The people, all from one home, had been using a portable generator inside, he said.
Such cases are common when electricity goes out and people try to heat their homes in unorthodox manners. Carbon monoxide poisoning can seem like the flu, he said. People suffer from nausea, headaches and are generally weak, among other symptoms.
The Lexington fire department saw three times the number of calls it normally has, Fire Chief Robert Hendricks said. From 6 p.m. Tuesday until 7 a.m. Wednesday, the department responded to 155 calls.
Never miss a local story.
"We've had a lot of falls and people being hit by branches," he said. About half of those involved power lines, he said.
By Wednesday afternoon, emergency room traffic was back to normal, with the usual mix of car accidents, drug problems and kids with runny noses, hospital representatives said.
At Central Baptist Hospital, emergency room staff saw a large increase in the number of broken bones and sprains Wednesday morning, said Ruth Ann Childers, a spokeswoman for the hospital. The hospital had not seen an increase in patients from automobile accidents, she said.
St. Joseph and St. Joseph East were seeing more patients arrive by ambulance but fewer people were driving in, said Jeff Murphy, a spokesman. As at UK, the emergency rooms were less full than usual Wednesday morning. Doctors were seeing more bone fractures from slip-and-fall cases than normal, he said.