Penn State campus police and their counterparts in State College said Wednesday that they had no record of Mike McQueary reporting an alleged sexual assault by Jerry Sandusky on a 10-year-old boy in a campus shower.
The details ran counter to McQueary's claims in an email to former teammates and made available to The Associated Press this week.
McQueary, then a graduate assistant, wrote in the email that he had discussions with police about what he saw. In the email, McQueary did not specify which police department he spoke to.
State College borough police chief Tom King said McQueary didn't make a report to his department.
Never miss a local story.
Campus police referred questions on the Sandusky case to the university's public information office.
"At this point we have no record of any police report being filed in 2002" by McQueary in connection with the Sandusky case, university spokeswoman Annemarie Mountz said, adding police searched their records Wednesday.
The news came after a new judge was assigned to handle the child sex abuse charges against Sandusky, whose televised defense earlier this week drew a rebuke from a lawyer for one of his accusers.
The change removed a State College judge with ties to a charity founded by Sandusky for at-risk children, The Second Mile.
Harrisburg attorney Ben Andreozzi said he represents a client who will testify against Sandusky, who is accused of abusing eight boys, some on campus, over 15 years.
"I am appalled by the fact that Mr. Sandusky has elected to re-victimize these young men at a time when they should be healing," Andreozzi said in a statement released by his office. "He fully intends to testify that he was severely sexually assaulted by Mr. Sandusky."
Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, appeared on NBC's Rock Center on Monday night and cast doubt on the evidence in the case.
"We anticipate we're going to have at least several of those kids come forward and say, 'This never happened. This is me. This is the allegation. It never occurred,'" Amendola said.
Andreozzi said he has his "finger on the pulse" of the case and knows of no accusers changing their stories or refusing to testify.
"To the contrary, others are actually coming forward, and I will have more information for you later this week," Andreozzi said.
Sandusky, 67, appeared on the show by phone and said he had showered with boys but never molested them.
Sandusky is due in court on Dec. 7. Robert E. Scott is taking over the hearing from Centre County District Judge Leslie Dutchcot.
Dutchcot has donated money to The Second Mile, where authorities say Sandusky met his victims.
$3 million withheld
A $3 million state grant that was earmarked for The Second Mile has been put on hold.
Gov. Tom Corbett said Wednesday he knew that The Second Mile's founder, Jerry Sandusky, was gone from the organization when the grant was approved earlier this year. Corbett, who said the funds were being withheld in light of the growing scandal, defended the decision to approve the grant while knowing about the allegations against Sandusky.
Corbett, a Republican, was the attorney general whose office in 2008 began the investigation into allegations of sexual contact between young boys and Sandusky, who founded the charity in 1977.
"I could not act ... on this without saying certain things that would have possibly compromised the investigation," Corbett said Wednesday.
The Second Mile operated with "very good purposes in general" and gave children access to beneficial programs, Corbett said, but he questioned whether it would be able to continue in light of the accusations against its founder.
Trustee becomes A.D.
Penn State is turning to a member of its board of trustees who played football and wrestled for the school to serve as its acting athletics director.
Dr. David M. Joyner, a business consultant and an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine, will take over the job performed until last week by Tim Curley.
Curley is on leave as he defends himself against criminal charges that he failed to properly alert authorities when told Jerry Sandusky allegedly sodomized a young boy in the Penn State football showers in 2002, and that he lied to a grand jury.
Harris goes on offensive
Franco Harris is disappointed in the Penn State board of trustees' decision to fire Joe Paterno and has been publicly voicing his opinion to reinstate his former coach.
"He's done so much for this university," said Harris, who played for the Nittany Lions from 1969 to '71 before enjoying a Hall of Fame pro career, primarily with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"(The board) didn't give him the dignity and the decency of three more games after 61 years. Even after he said he was going to retire and they still went that low to fire him and give no reason."
Harris drove from the Steel City to State College on Wednesday in hopes of meeting with university officials.
For his public support of Paterno, Harris' position as a spokesman for the Meadows Race Track and Casino in Pittsburgh was "put on hold," the casino said in a press release. Harris said that wasn't a concern based on everything Paterno has done for him.
"All the students are silent. All the alumni are silent. Everybody's afraid," Harris said.
"We can do two things. We can defend Joe Paterno and defend against sexual abuse. We can do both, and we're going to do both."
La. Governor takes action
BATON ROUGE, La. — Gov. Bobby Jindal issued an executive order Wednesday in response to the Penn State allegations. Jindal's order requires anyone working at a public Louisiana college who has witnessed child abuse or neglect to report it to law enforcement within 24 hours.