Five former or current players will be inducted into the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame during a ceremony at the Lexington Opera House on June 22.
The hall of fame’s 16th class includes:
▪ Wesley Woodyard, a former linebacker for the University of Kentucky who currently plays for the Tennessee Titans. Woodyard was twice named First Team All-SEC and was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent in 2008.
▪ Guy Morriss, who was head coach at the University of Kentucky from 2001-2002 and had a 15-year career as an offensive lineman in the NFL, playing for the Philadelphia Eagles (1973-1983) and New England Patriots (1984-1987). He was starting center for the Eagles in their loss to the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XV. Morriss is currently the offensive line coach at Lexington Christian Academy.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Tommy Bell, who played for Henry Clay High School in Lexington and the University of Kentucky. Bell was an NFL referee from 1962-1976 and headed the officiating crews of Super Bowls III and VII. Bell died of leukemia in 1986.
▪ Ernest Givins, a wide receiver for the University of Louisville who went on to play for the Houston Oilers (1986-1994) and Jacksonville Jaguars (1995). Givins was a two-time Pro Bowl selection and was named to the All-Pro team in 1990.
▪ Tim Lester, a fullback and running back for Eastern Kentucky University who was twice named First Team All-Ohio Valley Conference. Lester went on to play for the Los Angeles Rams (1992-1994), Pittsburgh Steelers (1995-1998) and Dallas Cowboys (1999).
During the induction ceremony, the 12th annual Blanton Collier Award for Integrity will also be given to former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis.
Official festivities will begin with a ring ceremony on June 21 at a location to be determined later. The June 22 award ceremony will take place at 7 p.m., after a golfing fundraiser at Kearney Hill Golf Links in Lexington. Proceeds will benefit the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club of the Bluegrass.
Sponsorship packages for the induction ceremony and golf outing as well as golf teams are available through the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame at 859-276-3488. Tickets for the ceremony will be available online in May at www.kyprofootballhof.org.