It was a banner day for former University of Kentucky linebackers on Sunday. Both Danny Trevathan and Wesley Woodyard scored touchdowns.
Trevathan picked off a Philip Rivers pass and returned it 25 yards for a score in the Denver Broncos’ 17-3 victory at San Diego.
It was Trevathan’s first NFL score and the Broncos’ fifth defensive touchdown this season. Trevathan, who also made two solo tackles in the game, missed the second half with a concussion.
“It was not a great throw,” Rivers told the Associated Press. “Just a bad play all the way around.”
Never miss a local story.
Woodyard picked up a botched snap and took it three yards for a TD in the Tennessee Titans’ 42-39 win against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tennessee (3-9) had lost 11 straight home games.
“It is rewarding, to be able to say we got a win, and we came out fighting no matter what,’’ Woodyard said in a report on the Titans’ website. “It was a shootout, and we have been on the losing side of too many of these. As a defense we have to challenge ourselves because we made some mistakes and allowed ourselves to be in a shootout, and that is something we can’t have as a defense.”
He finished with two tackles and fellow former Wildcat Avery Williamson had six.
“It feels good to see the crowd happy,” Williamson said. “Just to come off the field with the great feeling, knowing that we got the victory, is amazing. I feel like we just stuck with it. We didn’t blink. Even though they kept on us, throwing us shots and stuff like that, and kept putting up points, we just stuck with the course, and in the end, we came out.”
▪ Antonio Andrews (Fort Campbell, WKU) had 13 carries for 58 yards, including a 1-yard touchdown, in the Titans’ victory. He also had one reception for 10 yards.
▪ Rookie DeVante Parker (Ballard, U of L) caught a 38-yard touchdown pass, his second of the season, in the Miami Dolphins’ 15-13 victory over the Ravens. Parker finished with three catches for 63 yards. Elvis Dumervil (U of L) had three tackles, and Za’Darius Smith (UK) had one for Baltimore.
▪ It was a rough day for former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. He threw for 118 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in the Minnesota Vikings’ 38-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
▪ Bilal Powell (U of L) had eight catches for 91 yards and one score in the New York Jets’ 23-20 win against the New York Giants. He also ran six times for 17 yards.
▪ Jacob Tamme (Boyle County, UK) had three catches for 26 yards in the Atlanta Falcons’ 23-19 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Luke Stocker (Madison Southern) had one catch for four yards, and Keith Tandy (Christian County) had two tackles for Tampa Bay.
▪ Gary Barnidge (U of L) had five catches for 59 yards in the Cleveland Browns’ 37-3 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.