The mother of University of Kentucky freshman basketball player Terrence Jones said Wednesday that her son probably will wait until Sunday's deadline to decide whether to remain in the NBA Draft.
Meanwhile, Kentucky Coach John Calipari is talking as though freshman guard Brandon Knight has already made up his mind to turn pro.
Jones and Knight recently completed a two-day skills showcase at UK's Joe Craft Center that was heavily populated with representatives from NBA teams. Linda Jones said her son will consider the feedback he received and spend the next few days making a final decision.
Calipari told ESPN's Andy Katz on Wednesday that Jones received mixed signals from NBA personnel and that Knight heard the news he wanted.
Never miss a local story.
Knight is projected by many analysts as a top-five draft pick.
"You had some guys tell (Jones) he's a 1-2-3-4 pick in the draft next year, and there were some telling him you should go back, and there were others saying he should stay in the draft,'' Calipari said. "Brandon got the confirmation that he wanted (that he should stay in the draft), and DeAndre (Liggins) met with five or six teams. Josh (Harrellson) met with four teams.''
Linda Jones said she planned to speak with Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne about how the UK combine went and her son's future.
"There really isn't anything new at this point," she said. "I plan on talking with Terrence later (on Wednesday) to see what he's thinking, but no decisions have been made. He'll listen to what the coaches and (NBA) GMs have to say, and I think he'll probably use all the time that he has before he decides."
Linda Jones noted the timing of the deadline, which falls on Mother's Day.
"I really don't think Mother's Day is the greatest day to ask a young man to decide on his future, but we'll work with it the best we can," she said.
Jones is projected as the No. 11 pick in the latest NBA Mock Draft released by ESPN.com's Chad Ford on Wednesday.
Jones, Knight and Liggins entered their names in the NBA Draft last month but have not hired agents, meaning they are eligible to return to UK if they withdraw from the draft by Sunday's deadline.