The University of Kentucky has sent rapper Drake a cease-and-desist letter, The Sporting News reported. The order came after UK self-reported impermissible communication between Drake and three basketball prospects at last year's Big Blue Madness.
Charles Matthews, who had already committed to UK in February 2014, posed for a picture with Drake. The photo surfaced on Twitter after Madness. This was considered a Level III violation that does not carry a suspension component.
In the self-reporting letter to the NCAA, UK said it had asked Drake to refrain from speaking or taking pictures with prospective players when "outside the parameters established by the NCAA," The Sporting News reported.
UK also said it had told Drake before Madness not to interact with prospects.
Never miss a local story.
In two tweets Wednesday, UK Coach John Calipari acknowledged the violations. He called Drake, 28, a "dear friend" who would be welcome to visit anytime.
"Just so everyone knows, my dear friend @Drake took pics with fans as well as a couple guys as he was leaving the arena after Madness," Calipari tweeted.
In a follow-up tweet, Calipari added, "There are no issues with @Drake and UK, and Drake is and always will be a part of our Big Blue family. I hope to see him on campus soon."