BOWLING GREEN — Michelle Clark-Heard is the new women's basketball coach at Western Kentucky.
The school announced the hiring on Thursday.
Clark-Heard is a former WKU player who has spent the last five years as an assistant at Louisville. Previously, she coached Division II Kentucky State for two years.
In her five seasons in Louisville, the Cardinals have made three regional semifinals appearances and finished as national runner-up in 2009.
The 43-year-old Clark-Heard also worked as an assistant at Cincinnati and Nebraska prior to her time at Kentucky State. She played four seasons for the Lady Toppers after being named the 1986 girls' high school player of the year in Kentucky.
Clark-Heard replaces Mary Taylor Cowles, who was fired on March 8 after 10 seasons.
Florida State working on extension for Hamilton
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida State is negotiating with representatives of men's basketball coach Leonard Hamilton to extend his current deal, a person familiar with the situation said Thursday. Hamilton, a former Kentucky assistant, has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the Illinois job, but no school has contacted Florida State requesting permission to interview the coach, the person told The Associated Press.
Hamilton is 201-127 in 10 seasons at Florida State and 95-41 in the last four years, including two trips to the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. He earns $1.5 million annually. Hamilton, 63, has two years remaining on his present contract with Florida State.
Old Dominion player arrested before game
NORFOLK, Va. — One of Old Dominion University's star basketball players was arrested shortly before tipoff Wednesday night against Mercer for violating a court order. Virginia Beach police arrested senior Kent Bazemore in Norfolk at the Constant Convocation Center. He was booked into jail and later released.
Court records show Bazemore pleaded guilty in August to driving while intoxicated. He was placed on probation, fined and ordered to complete an alcohol safety program. A warrant for Baze-more was issued in February for not completing the program.
Northwestern coach coming back
EVANSTON, Ill — Bill Carmody is returning to Northwestern for a 13th season as men's basketball coach, despite the Wildcats' failure to be selected for its first NCAA Tournament in school history. Carmody has led Northwestern to four straight winning seasons and four straight NIT appearances. The Wildcats finished 19-14 this season, losing numerous close games and falling to Minnesota in the Big Ten Tournament. In the NIT, they beat Akron and lost to Washington.
Villanova's Wayns will remain in draft
VILLANOVA, Pa — Villanova junior guard Maalik Wayns will forgo his final season of eligibility and remain in the pool of candidates for the NBA Draft. The Wildcats announced his decision Thursday. Wayns scored 1,191 points in 95 games over three seasons at Villanova. He led Villanova in scoring this season at 17.6 points. The 6-foot-2 guard was second- team All-Big East. Coach Jay Wright says he supports the decision.
Creighton star says he's not considering draft
OMAHA, Neb. — Creighton sophomore star Doug McDermott says he's not considering declaring for the NBA Draft this year. McDermott is the nation's third-leading scorer, at 22.9 points a game. The Missouri Valley Conference player of the year led the Bluejays to a school record-tying 29 wins and to a win over Alabama in the NCAA Tournament. The Bluejays' season ended Sunday with a loss to North Carolina.
McDermott, whose father, Greg, is Creighton's head coach, said he hasn't thought seriously about turning pro this year.
UConn might have to wait for NCAA decision
STORRS, Conn. — Connecticut may not find out before this summer whether the NCAA will adopt academic rules changes that would allow the Huskies men's basketball team to qualify for the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
Under rules approved in October, the defending national champions would be academically ineligible in 2013, because the NCAA plans to use data from the 2009-10 and 2010-11 school years, when Connecticut's scores were too low to meet the threshold.
The NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance has been discussing whether it would be possible to use data from 2010-11 and 2011-12 to determine eligibility.
Committee chairman Walter Harrison told The Associated Press Thursday that the committee plans to meet for three days in April on a variety of issues, but it's not clear whether the academic reporting question can be resolved this spring, or will need further discussion when the committee meets in the summer.
"We don't know yet how many hearings we will need to hold in April," Harrison said via email. "That will determine how much time we can spend on the matter of the timing of penalties. So, I'm not comfortable with the word 'likely.' All I can say now is that we hope to have concluded our review of this policy question in either April or July."
Harrison's committee could implement the changes, decline to do anything, or refer recommendations to the NCAA Division I Board of Directors.
Connecticut is also separately pursuing an appeal that could result in a waiver of the sanctions, arguing that it has made significant changes that have resulted in significant improvements in the program's academic performance.
The original request for a waiver was denied by NCAA staff and that appeal is now before a subcommittee of Harrison's committee.