The Lafayette High School marching band is going to the Tournament of Roses Parade in 2013.
School officials surprised band members, students and parents with the announcement Friday night at halftime of the Lafayette-George Rogers Clark High School football game in Lexington.
Lafayette Band director Chuck Smith said he received a phone call about two weeks ago from Rose Parade officials, informing him that Lafayette had been selected for the 2013 parade. With the exception of a few people, school officials had kept the news a secret.
"It's a very exciting time right now," Smith said.
According to Smith, Lafayette will be the fourth Kentucky high school to perform in the Rose Parade, following Louisville Male, Christian County and Marshall County, which appeared twice. Lafayette is the first Lexington school to be invited, Smith said.
Lafayette had applied to be in the parade twice before without being selected, Smith said. He said the selection is a tribute to the students, band directors and others who have worked in the Lafayette band over the years.
Even though Lafayette won't be going to the Rose Parade for 15 months, planning for the trip will begin right away. "It will be here before you know it," Smith said.