Busch and Harvick fined, placed on 4-race probation
Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick were fined $25,000 apiece and put on probation Tuesday by NASCAR for their actions on pit road at Darlington Raceway. The probation for all NASCAR-sanctioned events runs through June 15, a span that includes four Sprint Cup races and the non-points $1 million All-Star event. It also includes Friday night's Truck Series race at Dover — an event Harvick entered after his confrontation with Busch. Probation is typically no more than a verbal warning that NASCAR will not tolerate any further misconduct during the designated period, and Dale Earnhardt Jr. dismissed the idea that either Busch or Harvick will race any differently while on probation.
"Probation doesn't change the way you're going to drive because you're still going to drive hard and race as hard as you can," Earnhardt said Tuesday.
Never miss a local story.
Ochocinco accepts bull-riding challenge
Chad Ochocinco now is going to try bull riding. The Bengals receiver who earlier this year had a tryout with Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer, has accepted a challenge from Professional Bull Riders chief operating officer Sean Gleason to ride a bull at the Lucas Oil Invitational this weekend in Duluth, Ga.. Ochocinco will earn $10,000 if he rides a bull. If he can stay aboard for the required eight seconds, the PBR will give Ochocinco a new Ford F-150, as well as allow him to rename the bull. Gleason says Ochocinco is "a gifted athlete, but bull riding is a much different sport and climbing on the back of a bull in the chutes takes a little more than Twitter confidence, let alone calling for the gate (to open)."
■ Officials in a Twin Cities suburb said Tuesday they have reached an agreement with the Vikings to lure the NFL team away from their longtime home in Minneapolis with a retractable-roof stadium built on a Superfund site. The site of the stadium would be the former Twin Cities Army Ammunitions Plant property in Arden Hills, about 10 miles from the Metrodome in Minneapolis.
■ Eight-time All-Pro guard Alan Faneca has announced his retirement after 13 seasons in the NFL. The former Steelers and Jets standout played last season with the Cardinals. He announced he was leaving the game in a statement released Tuesday by his agent. The 34-year-old lineman was the Steelers' first-round draft pick out of Louisiana State in 1998.
■ Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth did not grope a waitress at a hotel bar and intends to fight the accusations, his lawyer said Tuesday in entering a not-guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of sexual abuse.
Red Wings rally to force Game 7
Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula scored less than two minutes apart in the third period, and the host Detroit Red Wings rallied again for a 3-1 victory over the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday night, forcing a decisive seventh game after trailing 3-0 in the pulsating second-round series. San Jose must defend home ice Thursday night to avoid becoming the fourth NHL team to lose a best-of-seven series after leading 3-0.
Top recruit Blakely leaving Florida
Running back Mike Blakely, considered one of the top recruits in the country, has decided to transfer from Florida. He is the fourth player to leave Florida since Coach Will Muschamp took over in January. Muschamp said Blakely wants to play football elsewhere. Blakely, who ran for 1,000 yards and 14 touchdowns as a senior at Manatee High in Bradenton last fall, enrolled in January and missed spring drills because of a shoulder injury. Blakely thanked the school for his experience but did not say where he intends to transfer. Receivers Chris Dunkley and Javares McRoy have already transferred, and cornerback Janoris Jenkins was kicked off the team following a second arrest on a marijuana-possession charge.
■ Arkansas receiver Lance Ray has been granted a release from his scholarship. Razorbacks Coach Bobby Petrino confirmed the release through a spokesman who declined to say whether Ray asked for his release or was kicked off the team. Ray was charged with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance after being arrested in his dorm room on Jan. 31.
N.J. chief blasts owners for small fields
The head of New Jersey's harness racing association is angry with owners who race at the Meadowlands after only 65 horses were entered for Friday's card. In an open letter to the owners late Tuesday afternoon, Tom Luchento called the number of entries for the 10 races a disgrace and an insult to real estate investor Jeff Gural, who is trying to work out a deal to privately run what is considered the nation's premier harness track. "It is beyond comprehension how there could only be 65 horses in the entry box for Friday," Luchento wrote. "It is like a kick in the teeth to the SBOANJ, Jeff Gural and all those who stepped up to help. It is a disgrace."
Only two of the 10 races on Friday will have full 10-horse fields. The track was closed from the end of March until this past weekend while Gural negotiated with unions at the track for concessions and worked out a deal with the state to take over the operation of the track. Luchento said he understood that tracks in New York and Delaware are offering bigger purses, but he said there is nothing wrong with the Meadowlands' purses.
U.S. asks France for Armstrong evidence
Undeterred by the slap on the wrist a jury gave Barry Bonds, U.S. investigators are forging ahead in a separate drug-related case against another superstar athlete — Lance Armstrong. In France, where Armstrong became famous by winning the Tour de France seven straight times, officials received a request from U.S. authorities last month for help gathering evidence about the cyclist and other members of his former U.S. Postal team. The move indicates federal authorities are looking to bolster their case against Armstrong so they can give a grand jury in Los Angeles the fullest account possible of the cyclist's actions before deciding whether Armstrong, like Bonds, also should face criminal charges related to using performance-enhancing drugs.
■ Soccer's governing body was hit with new corruption allegations Tuesday when six FIFA executive committee members were accused of receiving or demanding bribes during bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Issa Hayatou of Cameroon and Jacques Anouma of the Ivory Coast were allegedly paid $1.5 million to vote for Qatar, according to evidence submitted to a British parliamentary inquiry by The Sunday Times newspaper. The Gulf nation beat the United States in the final round of voting in December for the 2022 tournament. Qatar's soccer federation released a statement later Tuesday, denying the "serious and baseless" allegations that will "remain unproven because they are false."
Transy golfer Tereshko in 13th at NCAAs
Transylvania golfer Justin Tereshko shot a 1-under 71 Tuesday and was in 13th place overall after the first round of the NCAA Division III National Championship at the Grandover Resort in Greensboro, N.C. The Pioneers were 16th in the team rankings. Hunter Frazier, a sophomore out of Lexington Catholic, shot an 81 for the five-man team.
The last word
Golfer Geoff Ogilvy was in a drug store last month when he saw a product designed to grow hair. As a joke, he bought a can of the organic hair growth. When he arrived at The Players Championship, his hair had grown enough for people to notice. It looked the way it did when he won the U.S. Open at Winged Foot five years ago:
"I wasn't buying it to grow hair; I was buying it for a giggle. It's organic. It can't hurt me. At least, I don't think it can hurt me."