SPORTS IN THE COURTS
First Penn State abuse suit comes from new accuser
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky sexually abused a boy more than 100 times, and threatened to harm his family to keep him quiet, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by a new accuser who is not part of the criminal case.
The 29-year-old, identified only as John Doe, had never told anyone about the alleged abuse until Sandusky was charged this month with abusing other boys. His lawyer said he filed a complaint with law enforcement on Tuesday. He became the first plaintiff to file suit in the Penn State child sex-abuse scandal a day later.
Never miss a local story.
Sandusky has acknowledged that he showered with boys but denied molesting them. His lawyer did not immediately return a message about the lawsuit.
The lawsuit claims Sandusky abused the boy from 1992, when the boy was 10, until 1996 in encounters at the coach's State College home, in a Penn State locker room and on trips, including to a bowl game. The account echoes a grand jury's description of trips, gifts and attention lavished on other alleged victims.
"I am hurting and have been for a long time because of what happened, but feel now even more tormented that I have learned of so many other kids were abused after me," the plaintiff said in a handwritten statement his lawyer read aloud at a news conference.
The lawsuit seeks tens of thousands of dollars and names Sandusky, the university and The Second Mile charity as defendants. The man says he knew the coach through the charity, which Sandusky founded in 1977, ostensibly to help disadvantaged children in central Pennsylvania.
The man was not referenced in the grand jury report that charges Sandusky with abusing eight boys over a 15-year period.
His lawyer, Jeff Anderson, said he believes Sandusky was a predator who could not control his sexual impulses toward children. He harshly criticized officials at Penn State and The Second Mile who failed to report their suspicions and put a stop to any abuse.
"We need to address the institutional recklessness and failures," said Anderson, who specializes in clergy sex-abuse lawsuits. "Was it because of power, money, fear, loyalty, lack of education?"
The university said it had not yet seen the complaint.
Nets GM denies Howard trade rumors
New Jersey Nets General Manager Billy King vehemently denied rumors Wednesday that he was in trade discussions with the Orlando Magic regarding All-Star center Dwight Howard. "I'll go on the record that I haven't talked to Orlando about a trade since February, right before the trade deadline. ... So, I don't know where that is coming from," King said. There were published reports which stated the Nets were in talks with the Magic about trading two first-round draft picks and center Brook Lopez in return for Howard, who is in the final year of his contract and will be a free agent next June.
Ex-Yankee Williams newcomer to ballot
Former AL batting champions Bernie Williams and Bill Mueller are among 13 newcomers on baseball's 2012 Hall of Fame ballot, joining top holdovers Barry Larkin, Jack Morris, Lee Smith and Jeff Bagwell. Following the election of Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven last year, a relatively weak field of first-timers could give renewed hope to Larkin and Morris. A player needs at least 75 percent to gain election, and results will be announced Jan. 9. The 2013 ballot that will be sent out late next year figures to be among the most controversial, with seven-time MVP Barry Bonds and seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens eligible for the first time along with Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling and Sammy Sosa. Bonds, Clemens and Sosa have been implicated in the use of performance-enhancing drugs, allegations they have denied.
■ David DeJesus could become the starting right fielder for the Chicago Cubs after agreeing to a $10 million, two-year contract. New general manager Jed Hoyer said DeJesus, a . 284 hitter during nine years with Kansas City and Oakland, is "an above-average defender" who "doesn't have a lot of home run power, he has a lot of doubles power. I think he can hit all over the lineup. ... It's nice to have a player that's versatile."
■ Right-handed reliever Jonathan Broxton has been added to the Kansas City Royals' roster after passing a physical. Broxton signed a deal that guarantees the former Los Angeles Dodgers closer $4 million to pitch for Kansas City next season. The deal was contingent on him passing a physical Wednesday, no sure thing after he was shut down early last season with elbow trouble.
■ Ramon Santiago has agreed to a $4.2 million, two-year contract to remain with the Detroit Tigers. The 32-year-old infielder hit .260 in 101 games last season, playing mostly second base and shortstop. He batted .295 after the All-Star break, helping Detroit pull away to win the AL Central title.
Lindsey Wilson men reach NAIA semis
Moses Aduny emerged from a cluster of players fighting for the ball inside the box and scored from 10 feet out in overtime to give No. 2 seed Lindsey Wilson a 3-2 victory over No. 10 seed Southern Polytechnic State (Ga.) in the NAIA men's soccer national tournament on Wednesday in Orange Beach, Ala. Lebogang Moloto scored the first two goals of the game for Lindsey Wilson (21-0), which will face either No. 3 seed Baker (Kan.) or No. 6 seed Grand View (Iowa) in the semifinals on Friday night.
■ Lindsey Wilson's women (19-1-2) could not follow their male counterparts into the NAIA semifinals. Concordia (Ore.) scored a tie-breaking goal in the 70th minute to beat the Blue Raiders 2-1 in Decatur, Ala. Mia Persson scored Lindsey Wilson's goal in the 11th minute, after Concordia scored just three minutes into the game.
Blackwelder opens qualifying with 72
Former Kentucky standout Mallory Blackwelder shot an even-par 72 on Wednesday in the first round of the 90-hole LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament in Daytona Beach, Fla. Blackwelder, who played the Legends Course, is tied for 25th place with 11 other players. The final top 40 and ties will receive 2012 LPGA Tour membership. Blackwelder had birdies on the 15th and 17th holes to go to 2 under Wednesday, but finished the round with a double bogey on the par-4 18th. Christine Song shot a 6-under 66 to take a one-stroke lead over former UCLA star Stephanie Kono. Seventeen-year-old Ginger Howard, trying to become only the fourth black player on the LPGA Tour, was four strokes back after a 70 on the Champions Course.
UCLA player qualifies for British Open
UCLA sophomore Patrick Cantlay is going to the British Open under a new qualifying category for golf's oldest championship. The Royal & Ancient said Wednesday that the winner of the McCormack Medal as the No. 1 player in the world amateur golf ranking at the end of the amateur season earns an automatic spot in the British Open. That change is effective for 2012, when the Open will be played at Royal Lytham & St. Annes. Cantlay, the low amateur at the U.S. Open and runner-up at the U.S. Amateur, won the McCormack Medal this year as the top-ranked amateur. He already has earned exemptions to the Masters and the U.S. Open in 2012 for reaching the championship match at the U.S. Amateur.
The last word
The Baltimore Ravens have just one more opponent with a winning record on their schedule. Asked to comment on the seemingly golden opportunity to earn a first-round bye, defensive end Cory Redding said:
"Don't know what it is, but it is what it is."