Grade I winner Dullahan retired
Donegal Racing announced that its multiple Grade I winner Dullahan was retired from racing because of a tendon injury.
Bred in Kentucky by Phil and Judy Needham and Bena Halecky, Dullahan earned each of his three wins from 18 career starts in Grade I company over synthetic surfaces. The son of Even the Score won the 2011 Grade I Breeders' Futurity at Keeneland and went on take the Grade I Blue Grass Stakes and Grade I Pacific Classic against older horses at Del Mar during his 3-year-old season.
Never miss a local story.
"Dullahan is the most spectacular looking horse Donegal has ever campaigned and that takes in some territory," Donegal Managing partner Jerry Crawford said in a release. "In my eyes he is from a similar mode of stallions like Tiznow, Candy Ride, Indian Charlie, or Harlan's Holiday as all of them were great race horses whose sires weren't perceived to be commercial at the time of their retirement. We believe that Dullahan has many attributes equipped to make him an excellent sire".
Dullahan is out of Smart Strike mare Mining My Own, making him a half-brother to 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird. He was conditioned by Eclipse Award winning trainer Dale Romans throughout his career and retired with $1,735,901 in career earnings.
"I don't even think we ever got to see him at his very best, he might have been the most talented colt I ever trained," Romans said.
Dullahan is being shipped to WinStar Farm in Lexington where he will have some rehab work done by Richard Budge and his team.
■ Double classic winner Camelot was retired from horse racing after getting injured in training for next month's Breeders' Cup Turf.
The Ireland-based Coolmore stable said in a statement released Monday that last year's 2,000 Guineas and English Derby champion "was found to be lame pulling out this morning," meaning he wouldn't have been able to stay in training for the Nov. 2 race at Santa Anita.
Camelot became only the third horse since Nijinsky in 1970 to achieve the Guineas-Derby double, but lost to Encke in the St. Leger in his bid to win the Triple Crown of English classics in 2012.
Camelot had struggled since, winning only one of three starts this season after failing to recover fully from a bad bout of colic.
Waltrip scaling back to 2 full-time teams
Michael Waltrip Racing will run only two full-time cars next season because of the loss of sponsor NAPA, part of the fallout from its attempts to manipulate a race to get Martin Truex Jr. into the Chase.
Truex, crew chief Chad Johnston and 15 percent of the workforce were notified Monday they are free to negotiate with other teams. Team co-owner Rob Kauffman said the cuts were across the organization and not limited to Truex's team.
The car Truex drives will be repurposed into a research and development team next season. It will run a partial schedule beginning with the Daytona 500 with team co-owner Michael Waltrip behind the wheel depending on sponsorship, Waltrip said.
"Today was about doing what we had to do, not what we wanted to do," Kauffman said. "It was important to let those whose jobs were affected know as early as possible, and a majority of those will remain with MWR through the end of the season."
Truex has been talking to Furniture Row Racing about the seat being vacated by Kurt Busch. MWR is undecided if it will use Truex's No. 56 on the third car next season, and how many races the car enters will be based on sponsorship.
The meetings between Kauffman and Waltrip and their employees Monday were interrupted when driver Brian Vickers informed the owners that a blood clot had been found in his right calf. He was placed on blood-thinning medication that will prevent him from finishing the season in the No. 55 Toyota.
The team had previously planned to use co-owner Waltrip in this week's race at Talladega, and said it will decide later on its driver for the remaining four races.
"We are taking the challenges we are faced with and trying to use them as a way to get better, and when you have to let some folks go and change direction, that upsets the apple cart and you feel for those folks," Waltrip said. "And then when Brian walks in this morning and tells you he has a health issue and the doctors won't let him race a car, I'm a race car driver and I just can't imagine a man at the prime of his career having to be faced with those challenges.
"So I think it's important to never, ever get into 'Why me?' That's not a very professional or positive way to look at things. I just like to use at is motivation to get better."
■ Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti had surgery Monday on his broken right ankle. It was the second operation on his ankle since Franchitti was injured Oct. 6 in an accident on the last lap of the Grand Prix of Houston. He also fractured two vertebrae and suffered a concussion. Franchitti will miss Saturday night's season finale at Fontana, where Scott Dixon will try to win his third IndyCar title. Alex Tagliani will drive Franchitti's car.
A's rookie Gray to have thumb surgery
Athletics rookie right-hander Sonny Gray will have surgery on his left thumb to repair a torn ligament. Gray injured his glove hand on a comebacker by Detroit's Prince Fielder in a 3-0 Game 5 loss in the AL division series Thursday night, which ended Oakland's season. In addition, 2012 Gold Glove right fielder Josh Reddick is likely to have arthroscopic surgery on a sprained right wrist that twice landed him on the disabled list for the two-time reigning AL West champion A's.
■ Major League Baseball umpire Wally Bell, who worked the NL playoff series between the Pittsburgh Pirates and St. Louis Cardinals this month, died. Mr. Bell, 48, died of an apparent heart attack in his home state of Ohio. Bell worked the 2006 World Series and three All-Star games, including this year's event.
■ New sod will soon be installed on the field at Whitaker Bank Ballpark, home of the Lexington Legends. Part of the sod that is being taken up at the ballpark was donated to Habitat for Humanity, where it will be available for purchase at Habitat's ReStore at 451 Southland Drive in Lexington.
The last word
Detroit Tigers right fielder Torii Hunter was still shaken up but in good spirits Monday, a day after he fell into the Boston bullpen in a futile effort to catch David Ortiz's tying grand slam in Game 2 of the AL championship series. Hunter said:
"I hit the top of the wall when I came over — it hit me in the ribs and I lost my breath. ... I was going to give it every attempt to go out there and try to catch that ball. If it takes for me to get knocked out or die on the field, I guess I've got to do it."