Kentucky Derby guide
General admission: $60 (gets you in the infield)
Gates open: 8 a.m.
First post time: 10:30 a.m.
Derby post time: 6:34 p.m.
From Lexington: Take Interstate 64 West to Interstate 264 West. On I-264, take exit 10 (Third St./Southern Parkway). Turn right, going north on Third Street or Southern Parkway, to Central Avenue. The drive takes 75 minutes in moderate traffic. Expect delays after noon on Derby Day.
Parking: All spots at the track were sold in advance. Nearby parking is available at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium ($20) and the Kentucky Exposition Center ($8). Parking is also available downtown.
Miller Trailways parking shuttle (round trip): $15 from stadium, $15 from exposition center, $20 from downtown.
Allowed at Downs
▪ Food items in clear plastic bags (maximum size: 18-by-18 inches); limit two per person.
▪ “Box” lunches in clear, plastic bags or plastic containers (maximum size: 18-by-18 inches).
▪ Water and soft drinks — plastic bottles only (sealed, clear and unopened)
▪ Purses, but none larger than 12 inches in any dimension (subject to search)
▪ Baby/diaper bags — only if accompanied by a child (subject to search)
▪ Small cameras — none equipped with detachable lenses or lenses of 6 inches or more
▪ Sunscreen (non-glass containers only)
▪ Small personal music systems, radios and televisions. No boom boxes. Patrons might be required to turn on electric items.
▪ Cellular phones, smartphones and tablets
▪ Seat cushions smaller than 15-by-15 inches (without back)
▪ Strollers (only if carrying a child)
▪ Chairs (Gate 3 only)
▪ Blankets and tarpaulins (Gates 1 and 3 for infield use only)
Not Allowed at Downs
▪ Coolers (Styrofoam coolers and ice available at infield)
▪ Cans (any size or type), glass bottles or containers
▪ Pop-up or patron tents — no poles or stakes of any kind
▪ Camcorders and laptops
▪ Cameras with detachable lenses, or equipped with a lens that is 6 inches or longer
▪ Selfie sticks
▪ Purses larger than 12 inches in any dimension
▪ Alcoholic beverages
▪ Luggage or briefcases
▪ Duffel bags
▪ Weapons (including knives)
▪ Fireworks, noisemakers, air horns, laser lights/pointers, mace or pepper sprays
▪ Drones and remote-controlled aircraft
▪ Animals (except service animals)
NBC (WLEX-18): Kentucky Derby, 8:30 a.m.-7:15 p.m.
NBC Sports: noon-4 p.m.
HRRN (WLXO-96.1 FM): Stakes races, 2-7 p.m.
TVG: 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
4201 Versailles Road, Lexington
General admission: $5, free for ages 12 and under
Drive-through opens: 7 a.m.
Gates open: 9 a.m.
Mutuel windows open: 10 a.m.
1200 Red Mile Road, Lexington
Gates open: 10 a.m.
Information: (859) 255-0752; RedMileKy.com
Kentucky Horse Park
4089 Iron Works Parkway, Lexington
Drive-through opens: 7:30 a.m.
Information: (859) 233-4303; KyHorsePark.com
7500 Turfway Rd., Florence, one hour north of Lexington. From I-75, take Exit 182 ( Turfway Road).
Gates open: 10 a.m.