Kentucky’s come-from-way-way-behind win at West Virginia didn't move the needle as far as Joe Lunardi is concerned.
ESPN’s resident bracketologist has the Cats as a No. 5 seed in his latest brackets, released Monday.
Lunardi has Kentucky in the South Region, opening in Dallas against the winner of a No. 12 seed play-in game between North Carolina State and Boise State in Dayton. According to the prospective bracket, Virginia would be the No. 1 seed in the South, followed by Michigan State at No. 2, Cincinnati at No. 3 and West Virginia at No. 4.
If that were happen -- there’s a long time between now and Selection Sunday -- then John Calipari’s joke/prediction Saturday that the NCAA would find a way to put the Cats and Mountaineers in the same bracket would be true.
Never miss a local story.
Lunardi has Western Kentucky among his “first four out” selections. He has Louisville as the No. 6 seed in the South.
He has seven SEC teams making the field of 68. They are:
▪ Auburn, No. 2 in the East
▪ Tennessee, No. 4 in the West
▪ Kentucky, No. 5 in the South
▪ Florida, No. 5 in the East
▪ Arkansas, No. 9 in the East
▪ Alabama, No. 9 in the Midwest
▪ Texas A&M, No. 11 in the Midwest
Jerry Palm’s latest bracket for CBS Sports has Kentucky as a No. 4 seed in the East.
SEC men’s basketball standings
SEC men’s basketball schedule this week
Tuesday, Jan. 30
- 7:00 - Florida at Georgia (SEC)
- 9:00 - Auburn at Ole Miss (SEC)
- 9:00 - Vanderbilt at Kentucky (ESPN)
- 9:00 - Arkansas at Texas A&M (ESPNU)
Wednesday, Jan. 31
- 6:30 - LSU at Tennessee (SEC)
- 8:30 - Miss State at South Carolina (SEC)
- 9:00 - Missouri at Alabama (ESPN2)
Saturday, Feb. 3
- 2:00 - South Carolina at Texas A&M (ESPN2)
- 2:00 - Kentucky at Missouri (CBS)
- 3:30 - Arkansas at LSU (SEC)
- 4:00 - Alabama at Florida (ESPN)
- 6:00 - Ole Miss at Tennessee (SEC)
- 6:00 - Georgia at Miss State (ESPNU)
- 8:30 - Vanderbilt at Auburn (SEC)