The NBA Draft is almost a week away and one former Kentucky player has started to push his way up the draft boards.
According to ESPN draft guru Jonathan Givony, ex-UK forward Kevin Knox is making a bid to be a top-10 pick when the draft takes place Thursday, June 21, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Most mock drafts had placed Knox on the edge of the lottery, going anywhere from No. 13 to No. 15. Many of those mocks placed him behind his ex-teammate Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
Givony isn't the only one who believes Knox is making his way into the top 10. Kevin O'Connor, NBA analyst for The Ringer, has hopped on the Knox train, as well.
Over at SI.com, the staff of the Crossover recently compared Knox, Mikal Bridges of Villanova and Miles Bridges of Michigan State. All three are wing players with similar credentials.
Wrote Jake Fischer: "Put up against Miles Bridges and Mikal Bridges, Knox is taller (6’7.75” w/o shoes), and younger than his counterparts, coupled with a virtually equal wingspan (6’11.75”) to that of Villanova’s swingman. Knox won’t turn 19 until August 11, making him ripe for an NBA coaching staff to get their hands on. Mikal Bridges will turn 21 two weeks after Knox’s birthday, whereas Miles is already midway through his 20th year. Knox boasts a significant advantage in biometric profile."
Back to Givony, here was his top 12 in his last mock draft, posted June 7.
- 1 - Phoenix: DeAndre Ayton, Arizona
- 2 - Sacramento: Marvin Bagley, Duke
- 3 - Atlanta: Jaren Jackson, Michigan State
- 4 - Memphis: Luka Doncic, Real Madrid
- 5 - Dallas: Mohamed Bamba, Texas
- 6 - Orlando: Wendell Carter, Duke
- 7 - Chicago: Trae Young, Oklahoma
- 8 - Cleveland: Michael Porter, Missouri
- 9 - New York: Collin Sexton, Alabama
- 10 - Philadelphia: Mikal Bridges, Villanova
- 11 - Charlotte: Kevin Knox, Kentucky
- 12 - LA Clippers: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Kentucky
Here's the NBA Draft order for this year's first round:
- 1 - Phoenix Suns
- 2 - Sacramento Kings
- 3 - Atlanta Hawks
- 4 - Memphis Grizzlies
- 5 - Dallas Mavericks
- 6 - Orlando Magic
- 7 - Chicago Bulls
- 8 - Cleveland Cavaliers (via Nets)
- 9 - New York Knicks
- 10 - Philadelphia 76ers (via Lakers)
- 11 - Charlotte Hornets
- 12 - Los Angeles Clippers (via Pistons)
- 13 - Los Angeles Clippers
- 14 - Denver Nuggets
- 15 - Washington Wizards
- 16 - Phoenix Suns (via Heat)
- 17 - Milwaukee Bucks
- 18 - San Antonio Spurs
- 19 - Atlanta Hawks (via Timberwolves)
- 20 - Minnesota Timberwolves (via Thunder)
- 21 - Utah Jazz
- 22 - Chicago Bulls (via Pelicans)
- 23 - Indiana Pacers
- 24 - Portland Trail Blazers
- 25 - Los Angeles Lakers (via Cavaliers)
- 26 - Philadelphia 76ers
- 27 - Boston Celtics
- 28 - Golden State Warriors
- 29 - Brooklyn Nets
- 30 - Atlanta Hawks (via Rockets)
NBA Draft first round 2017