It might be another NFL Sunday and the College Football Playoff race is winding down toward a wild and crazy finish, but there is plenty of good college basketball on television for Nov. 22.
ESPNU at 2:30 p.m. features a basketball game of family ties. Minnesota plays Texas Tech in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Minnesota is coached by Richard Pitino. Texas Tech is coached by Tubby Smith. Richard's father, Rick, hired Tubby as an assistant at Kentucky. Tubby then followed Rick Pitino as head coach at UK and won a title in 1998. Minnesota is off to a 3-1 start. Texas Tech is 2-1.
And, oh yes, Richard Pitino replaced Tubby Smith as the head coach at Minnesota.
No. 5 Duke plays Georgetown in the finals of the 2K Classic at 1 p.m. at Madison Square Garden on ESPN. The Blue Devils rebounded from their loss to Kentucky last Tuesday by beating VCU 79-71 on Friday. Grayson Allen, held to six points by UK's Isaiah Briscoe, shook free for 30 points against the Rams. Georgetown is 1-2, but pushed No. 3 Maryland before losing 75-71.
New Florida coach Mike White pits his Gators against No. 21 Purdue in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut for a 5:30 p.m. game on ESPN2. Purdue (4-0) is coming off a 61-39 win over Old Dominion. Florida is 3-0 after a 74-63 win over St. Joseph's.
No. 22 Butler plays Miami in the finals of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, 7:30 on ESPN2. Miami has taken full advantage of the new 30-second shot clock. The Hurricanes rolled over No. 16 Utah 90-66 last time out. They whipped Ben Howland and Mississippi State 105-79 before that. Butler reached the final by beating Temple 74-69.
If you missed it, top-ranked North Carolina lost to Northern Iowa 71-67 on Saturday in Cedar Falls, Iowa. So look for Kentucky to be No. 1 in the next AP college basketball poll.
Sunday, Nov. 22
▪ 12:00 - Gardner-Webb at Tennessee (SEC)
▪ 12:30 - Harvard at Boston College (ESPNU)
▪ 1:00 - Duke vs. Georgetown (ESPN)
▪ 2:30 - Minnesota vs. Texas Tech (ESPNU)
▪ 3:30 - Wisconsin vs. VCU (ESPN2)
▪ 4:30 - Yale at SMU (ESPN News)
▪ 4:30 - Temple vs. Utah (ESPNU)
▪ 5:30 - Florida vs. Purdue (ESPN2)
▪ 6:30 - Tulsa vs. Indiana State (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - SE Louisiana at Nebraska (Big 10)
▪ 7:30 - Oklahoma State vs. Long Beach State (ESPNU)
▪ 7:30 - Butler vs. Miami (ESPN2)
▪ 9:00 - Hofstra vs. South Carolina (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:30 - George Mason vs. Virginia (ESPN2)
Ken Pomeroy's Top 20 ratings
- 1. Kentucky
- 2. Villanova
- 3. Virginia
- 4. Duke
- 5. Kansas
- 6. Gonzaga
- 7. North Carolina
- 8. Arizona
- 9. Baylor
- 10. Cincinnati
- 11. Miami
- 12. Purdue
- 13. Oklahoma
- 14. Michigan State
- 15. Indiana
- 16. SMU
- 17. Louisville
- 18. Iowa State
- 19. Vanderbilt
- 20. Notre Dame