After Monday night's opening games -- Wake Forest beat Rutgers 69-68; Minnesota beat Clemson 89-83 -- the Big 10/ACC Challenge kicks into high gear Tuesday night on ESPN's family of networks.
The key matchup has No. 2 Maryland traveling to Chapel Hill to play No. 9 North Carolina, the pre-season No. 1, in what once used to be a high-level ACC matchup. That was before Maryland left the conference for the Big 10.
Maryland is 6-0 after an 80-63 win over Cleveland State on Saturday. Before that, the Terps won the Cancun Challenge with wins over Illinois State (77-66) and Rhode Island (86-63). The latter game saved its fireworks for the end when Maryland coach Mark Turgeon and RIU coach Danny Hurley got into a post-game spat.
North Carolina is 5-1, the Heels'’lone defeat coming at Northern Iowa 71-67. Coach Roy Williams expects to have point guard Marcus Paige back. Paige has yet to play this season because of a broken hand but will reportedly be ready to go Tuesday.
Never miss a local story.
As for the other matchups, UK fans might be interested in Virginia at Ohio State. Kentucky plays Ohio State in Brooklyn on Dec. 19. Thad Matta's team is off to a slow start with losses to Texas-Arlington, Louisiana Tech and Memphis.
Here is the list of college basketball games on television for Tuesday:
Tuesday, Dec. 1
▪ 7:00 - Michigan at North Carolina State (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Northwestern at Virginia Tech (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Villanova at Saint Joseph's (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - Richmond at Florida (SEC)
▪ 7:00 - Md-Eastern Shore at Georgetown (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 7:30 - Virginia at Ohio State (ESPN)
▪ 9:00 - Purdue at Pittsburgh (ESPN2)
▪ 9:00 - Miami at Nebraska (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - Louisiana Tech at Memphis (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:00 - Arkansas State at Missouri (SEC)
▪ 9:30 - Maryland at North Carolina (ESPN)
How Top 25 fared Monday
- No. 1 Kentucky beat Illinois State 75-63
- No. 15 Oregon beat Fresno State 78-73