Florida is off to a 6-1 start, but new coach Mike White faces a tough road game Monday night as the Gators travel down state to face No. 17 Miami in Coral Gables. ESPN2 has the game at 7 p.m.
Jim Larranaga’s Hurricanes are 7-1, the lone loss coming by just one point, 78-77 to Northeastern. Miami has a 1105-79 win over Mississippi State, a 90-66 win over then No. 16-Utah and a 85-75 win over then No. 22 Butler. Last time out, Miami whipped Charlotte 88-60.
Florida’s only loss was 85-70 to then No. 21 Purdue. The Boilermakers are now No. 11 in the rankings. Florida is coming off a 76-56 win over Richmond. The Gators travel to East Lansing on Saturday to play No. 1-ranked Michigan State.
Miami won last year's game 69-67 in Gainesville. Angel Rodriguez scored 22 of his 24 points in the second half to lead the Hurricanes to the win. And Rodriguez is back this year, averaging 12.4 points per game. Sheldon McClellan leads Miami in scoring at 15.9 per game.
Another interesting matchup Tuesday finds No. 6 Maryland playing Connecticut in Madison Square Garden at 9:30 on ESPN. Maryland is 7-1 after its loss at North Carolina last week in the Big 10/ACC Challenge. Connecticut is 5-2 with losses to Syracuse and Gonzaga, each by three points.
Around the SEC, Arkansas plays host to a 7-1 Evansville at 9 p.m. on the SEC Network. Arkansas is off to a disappointing 3-4 start with losses to Akron, Georgia Tech, Stanford and Wake Forest.
Tuesday, Dec. 8
▪ 7:00 - West Virginia at Virginia (ESPN)
▪ 7:00 - Florida at Miami (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Winthrop at Georgia (SEC)
▪ 7:00 - Colgate at Syracuse (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Wright State at Xavier (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 8:00 - Northwestern State at Baylor (Fox Sports Ohio)
▪ 9:00 - Michigan at SMU (ESPN2)
▪ 9:00 - Evansville at Arkansas (SEC)
▪ 9:00 - Stony Brook at Notre Dame (ESPNU)
▪ 9:30 - Maryland vs. Connecticut (ESPN)
How Top 25 fared Monday
- No. 4 Iowa State beat Buffalo 84-63
- No. 7 Oklahoma beat No. 9 Villanova 78-55
- No. 11 Purdue beat IUPUI 80-53
- No. 18 Butler beat VMI 93-66
- No. 24 Oregon beat Navy 67-47