Thanks to a Hawaii tournament and a rush on pre-Christmas matchups before the holiday on Friday, there is a large slate of college basketball games on television Tuesday night.
The best matchup of the night features No. 11 Iowa State traveling to the Queen City to play No. 22 Cincinnati at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. Iowa State lost to in-state giant killer Northern Iowa over the weekend, the Cyclones first defeat of the season. Cincinnati has lost twice, to Big East teams Butler and Xavier.
SEC fans might want to tune over to the Big 10 Network at 8 p.m. when Vanderbilt travels to West Lafayette to face No. 14 Purdue. Vandy is still without its 7-footer Luke Kornet, nursing a knee injury. Purdue will be in a rehab mode of its own after losing to Butler in the Crossroads Shootout over the weekend. That was the Boilers first setback of the season.
No. 1-ranked Michigan State, without star Denzel Valentine for the next 2-3 weeks because of a minor knee procedure -- all "minor" surgery is surgery done on someone other than you -- plays Oakland at 7 p.m. on ESPNU.
Never miss a local story.
Cuonzo Martin takes his California Golden Bears clear across the country for a matchup with Virginia at 9 p.m. on ESPN2. The host Cavaliers vaulted to No. 5 in Monday's AP poll after beating up on Villanova over the weekend.
After crashing the AP poll for the first time since 2004, No. 25 South Carolina plays St. John's in a 9 p.m. game on the CBS Sports Network. We'll see how USC coach Frank Martin likes the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut.
For the late nighters, No. 2 Kansas is at San Diego State at 11 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network. San Diego State's arena has the reputation of being one of the tougher places to play for opponents. We shall see how it might affect the Jayhawks.
No. 3 Oklahoma is part of the Diamondhead Classic field in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Sooners play Washington State in an 11 p.m. game on ESPNU.
Here is the full list of college basketball games on television for Tuesday:
Tuesday, Dec. 22
▪ 2:30 - Auburn vs. New Mexico (ESPNU)
▪ 4:00 - Troy at Ole Miss (SEC)
▪ 5:00 - Miami at LaSalle (CBS Sports)
▪ 5:00 - BYU vs. Harvard (ESPNU)
▪ 6:00 - Clemson at Georgia (SEC)
▪ 6:00 - Kennesaw State at Indiana (Big 10)
▪ 6:30 - South Florida at Seton Hall (Fox Sports 2)
▪ 7:00 - Iowa State at Cincinnati (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Delaware at Villanova (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 7:00 - Michigan State vs. Oakland (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Georgetown at Charlotte (CBS Sports)
▪ 8:00 - Vanderbilt at Purdue (Big 10)
▪ 8:00 - American at LSU (SEC)
▪ 8:30 - Southern Utah at Butler (Fox Sports 2)
▪ 9:00 - St. John's vs. South Carolina (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:00 - Mercer at Ohio State (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - George Washington at DePaul (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 9:00 - California at Virginia (ESPN2)
▪ 11:00 - Kansas at San Diego State (CBS Sports)
▪ 11:00 - Oklahoma vs. Washington State (ESPNU)
▪ 1:30 a.m. - Northern Iowa vs. Hawaii (ESPNU)
How Top 25 fared Monday
- No. 2 North Carolina beat Appalachian State 94-70
- No. 10 Providence beat UMass 90-66
- No. 19 West Virginia beat Eastern Kentucky 89-54