Big Blue Links for Sunday:
▪ Jamal Murray’s 35 points led Kentucky to a needed 80-61 win over visiting Florida. The victory snapped a two-game losing streak for the Cats and was the second game this season in which Murray has scored at least 30 points.
▪ Florida was doomed by its slow start. The Gators fell behind early at Rupp and could never catch up.
▪ The Gators had no answer for Murray. Florida dropped to 2-6 on the road this season and 6-4 in the conference race.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Isaac Humphries came off the bench to give Kentucky a lift on Saturday. The freshman center from Australia was pressed into action when Alex Poythress was a pre-game scratch because of knee soreness.
▪ Florida coach Michael White praised UK’s Tyler Ulis. White said that the 5-foot-9 point guard controlled the game both offensively and defensively.
▪ With Ulis, size has nothing to do with the power of the point guard. Bob Cousy, who set the standard, talks about what makes up a good point guard.
▪ Kentucky women play host to LSU at noon Sunday. The Cats hope to get more from Batouly Camara as they try to snap a three-game losing streak.
▪ Kentucky football optimistic defensive help on the way. Head coach Mark Stoops says he believes UK’s sack numbers and tackles for loss will increase in 2016.
▪ If LSU doesn’t beat itself, the Tigers can win the SEC. LSU took first place Saturday thanks to a win over Mississippi State.
▪ South Carolina knocked Texas A&M out of first place with a landmark win. It was Texas A&M’s third straight SEC loss.
▪ Behind strong defense, Georgia beat Auburn. Georgia comes to Rupp Arena for a 9 p.m. game Tuesday with Kentucky.
▪ Riley Norris’ 18 points helped Alabama beat Missouri 80-71. Missouri dropped to 1-9 in the league. Alabama improved to 4-6.
▪ Ole Miss hung on to beat Vanderbilt. Each time you think Vandy has turned the corner, the Commodores take a step back.
▪ For first place Louisville, ACC title is no consolation prize. Win over Boston College on Saturday was U of L’s first game since school announced a post-season ban.
▪ Rick Pitino railed against the post-season ban on Saturday. Strong words from a coach who is responsible for a program that apparently did something that prompted the school to enact that post-season ban.