Why won’t the Kansas Jayhawks let somebody else win? Why won’t Bill Self-ish take a year off and let another Big 12 team take home the Big 12 trophy for once? The Jayhawks clinched at least a tie for their 12th consecutive conference basketball title last week. Think of it: 12 straight. In this time of parity and balance and one-and-dones, that is truly a ridiculous achievement.
Kansas’ season is not over, however. Now ranked No. 1 in the nation, KU travels to Austin, Texas, on Monday night to face the up-and-coming Longhorns in a 9 p.m. Big Monday battle on ESPN. A win would lock up the league crown outright. It won’t be easy, however.
Texas is 19-10 overall and 10-6 in Big 12 play under new coach Shaka Smart. The Longhorns knocked off No. 3 Oklahoma 76-63 on Saturday, and now they have their sights on shocking the top-ranked team in the nation.
Kansas is 13-3 in league play. Its overtime triumph over none other than Kentucky on Jan. 30 was the start of a current nine-game win streak.
Never miss a local story.
Here’s the full (short) list of college basketball games on television Monday night:
Monday, Feb. 29
▪ 7:00 - Oklahoma State at Iowa State (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Syracuse at North Carolina (ESPN)
▪ 9:00 - Kansas at Texas (ESPN)
▪ 9:00 - Alabama State at Texas Southern (ESPNU)
How Top 25 fared Sunday
- No. 5 Xavier lost 90-81 to Seton Hall
- No. 6 Michigan State beat Penn State 88-57
- No. 8 Iowa lost at Ohio State 68-64
- No. 13 Oregon beat Washington 86-73
- No. 15 Duke lost to Pittsburgh 76-62
- No. 24 SMU beat Tulane 74-53