A game out of first place in the loss column, South Carolina will be trying to keep its hopes of sharing the SEC regular-season title alive when it welcomes Georgia to Colonial Life Arena in a 7 p.m. game Thursday on ESPN2.
Kentucky and Texas A&M are tied atop the SEC with 12-5 marks. LSU and Vanderbilt are 11-6. Then comes South Carolina at 10-6. A win over the Bulldogs and South Carolina pulls into a three-way tie for third place with one game separating the top five teams.
Kentucky finishes up at home against LSU on Saturday. Texas A&M plays host to Vanderbilt. South Carolina travels to Arkansas (9-8).
Let’s say South Carolina wins Thursday. If LSU beats Kentucky, Vanderbilt beats Texas A&M and South Carolina beats Arkansas, then Kentucky, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, LSU and South Carolina would all finish with 12-6 records and tie for the regular season title.
It probably won’t happen, but it could.
Here is the list of college basketball games on television for Thursday:
Thursday, March 3
▪ 7:00 - Georgia at South Carolina (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Memphis at Temple (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Illinois at Maryland (ESPN)
▪ 7:00 _ UMass at Rhode Island (CBS Sports)
▪ 9:00 - Connecticut at SMU (ESPN2)
▪ 9:00 - Northwestern at Penn State (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - California at Arizona (ESPN)
▪ 11:00 - Stanford at Arizona State (Fox Sports 1)
How Top 25 fared Wednesday
- No. 2 Michigan State beat Rutgers 97-66
- No. 7 Miami beat Notre Dame 68-50
- No. 9 Oregon beat UCLA 76-68
- No. 10 West Virginia beat Texas Tech 90-68
Ken Pomeroy’s SEC rankings
- 11 Kentucky
- 23 Texas A&M
- 24 Vanderbilt
- 46 Florida
- 55 South Carolina
- 65 Arkansas
- 71 Miss State
- 75 LSU
- 77 Georgia
- 84 Ole Miss
- 85 Alabama
- 109 Tennessee
- 173 Missouri
- 194 Auburn