With John Calipari’s successor at Memphis, Josh Pastner, now leaving the Tigers for Georgia Tech, time to update our coaching carousel chart.
Going by the list compiled by collegecoachinginfo.com and ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, there have been nearly 50 coaching changes made since the start of the 2015-16 college basketball season. A sizable number of those jobs have yet to be filled.
There have been eight changes made among the so-called Power 5 schools.
▪ In the ACC, Jamie Dixon left Pittsburgh for TCU and was replaced by Vanderbilt’s Kevin Stallings. Georgia Tech fired Brian Gregory and hired Pastner.
▪ In the Big 10, Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan and hired Stony Brook’s Steve Pikiell. Wisconsin took the interim tag off of Greg Gard, who had replaced the retired Bo Ryan.
▪ In the Big 12, TCU fired Trent Johnson and hired Dixon. Oklahoma State fired Travis Ford and hired Stephen F. Austin’s Brad Underwood.
▪ In the Pac-12, Stanford fired Johnny Dawkins and hired UAB’s Jerod Haase.
▪ In the SEC, Stallings left Vanderbilt for Pitt. Vandy then hired Valpariaso coach Bryce Drew.
Here’s a chart of the coaching carousel to date. We’ll try to update it as more announcements are made.
College basketball coaching changes for 2016-17
Central Conn State
North Carolina A&T
Prarie View A&M
South Dakota State
Stephen F. Austin