After the long drive back from Baltimore, showers throughout Maryland, a pop-up storm in West Virginia -- tried the new Citrus Orange Cashew Chicken salad at Panera (twice) -- before sunshine on home to Kentucky, so what did I miss?
▪ After writing a couple of times about Kentucky softball last week, the Cats were eliminated in their regional, falling to Utah 5-3 in the final game on Sunday. Six SEC teams advanced to this weeks Super Regional. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn and Missouri are still alive. Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Texas A&M are looking to next year.
▪ UK baseball took two of three from visiting Missouri in an important series over the weekend. Kyle Cody threw 137 pitches on Saturday as the Cats took the rubber game. Gary Henderson’s club, the No. 8 seed, plays Alabama at 5:30 ET on Tuesday in a first-round game of the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama.
▪ Nyquist and Exaggerator could take their budding racing rivalry to the Big Apple and the Belmont Stakes. I’ll be surprised if Nyquist actually goes to New York, but hope I’m wrong.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Lexington’s own Ben Revere went three-for-five on Sunday for the Washington Nationals, showing what the former Lexington Catholic star can do for Dusty Baker’s club. Revere missed the first month of the season and has struggled upon his return.
“I’m sure his confidence is a lot higher now than it was before because he was wondering what he had to do to get hits,” Baker told the Washington Post. “But I kept telling everybody, he had to. play, get his timing, get his confidence back.”
▪ Billy Donovan’s “small bell” helped the Thunder rout the Warriors in Game 3 of the Western Conference final. All the hubbub about Draymond King’s leg kick overshadowed the fact OKC is now up 2-1 on the team that won 73 regular season games this season.
▪ Down at Baylor, Art Briles has some explaining to do.
▪ Isaiah Briscoe is at No. 89 and Marcus Lee at No. 111 on the CBS big board of NBA Draft prospects, two days away from the deadline for players to remove their names from the available list, collect their books and head on back to school.