Latest News

Military aiding investigation

ROARING SPRING — Military police from Fort Campbell are assisting Kentucky authorities in collecting evidence from a fire that killed three children and injured their mother.

Two Army military police companies arrived on the scene in southwestern Kentucky on Friday and were working through the weekend, said Kentucky State trooper Dean Patterson.

Police said Friday the deaths of Kayla Williams, 17, Kortney Frensley, 14, and Ethan Frensley, 5, were homicides. Kevin Dunlap, 35, a Hopkinsville man, has been charged with three counts of capital murder and one count of attempted murder in the deaths.

Dunlap also is charged with four counts of capital kidnapping, three counts of tampering with physical evidence and one count each of burglary and rape. The jail where he is being held does not have an attorney listed for Dunlap.

The 551st and the 163rd Military Police Companies joined the search at the Frensley house after state police requested assistance from Fort Campbell officials, Patterson told the Kentucky New Era.

"Although the military personnel have no role in the criminal investigation, they have training in evidence collection which helped law enforcement search for any evidence that might yield additional leads in the investigation," Patterson said in a news release.

State fire marshals and Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents also are working on the investigation.

The children's mother, Kristi Frensley, 36, survived the attack. Neither the hospital nor police have released her condition.

"It took some time before she was able to speak to us and assist us," Patterson said. "It took several hours until her condition improved to the point where she could communicate."

Patterson said Dunlap had a "relationship" with the satellite television provider DIRECTV, and acknowledged the cooperation of its corporate office during the investigation.

A warrant executed during the investigation allowed investigators to search a DIRECTV van at Dunlap's home. Patterson said that it appeared the suspect did not work out of the van when he allegedly committed the crimes last Wednesday.

Patterson said the collection and processing of evidence was still going on and that Dunlap would be in court sometime this week.