Latest News

Fire destroys Lexington mobile home

An accidental fire destroyed a mobile home in Imperial Estates Mobile Home Park off Newtown Pike in Lexington Friday night.

The fire started when a 12-year-old boy playing with candles and a lighter caught his mattress on fire at the home on Queen Drive, said Maj. Karl Poindexter of the Lexington fire department.

The boy told a 14-year-old girl about the fire and the two of them tried to put it out with pans of water from the kitchen. They did not immediately tell an adult woman who was also at home at the time, Poindexter said.

When the smoke detector went off, the woman found the fire and got herself and the children out of the home. The fire department was called to the scene at 7:04 p.m.

Poindexter said the woman was taken to a local hospital for observation but was soon released.

  Comments