Latest News

Apartment fire started by squatters

A fire in a vacant apartment building was started by squatters trying to keep warm, Lexington fire officials said.

The fire at the former Saddlebrook Apartments at Codell and Woodhill drives was reported about 7 p.m. Monday.

Fire officials called the fire suspicious, saying that electricity to the vacant complex was shut off.

The fire began in the stairwell by people looking to keep warm, officials said. A similar fire occurred in November at the complex, Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins said.

Fire-prevention officials will talk with the property's owners about better securing the vacant buildings, he said.

  Comments