Latest News

Rescued Lexington fire victim in critical condition

A woman who was rescued Saturday from a burning Lexington home was listed in critical condition Thursday.

Angela Cox was saved by a couple and their boys who were driving by and noticed the flicker of flames inside the living room window.

Kandace Rogers first reported the fire at 3497 Boston Road about 7:20 a.m., according to Lexington fire reports and a press release. While his wife called 911, Brian Rogers went to the house's door, which was hot to the touch.

The couple were on their way to a meeting point for a Webelos Scout field trip with their sons.

Amid the pops and crackles caused by the fire on the other side, Rogers heard a noise at the door. He saw the door handle jiggle and thought someone was inside trying to get out. The 37-year-old former Bryan Station defensive tackle threw his shoulder into the door and burst through. He found Cox, her hair on fire and clothes melting, on the other side. Her face was covered in soot, Rogers said.

"It was just hot and smoke so thick you couldn't see nevertheless breathe," he recalled Thursday. "She got all the way to the front door by herself. ... She made it three feet from the door when I got in. She probably couldn't get the door open."

He grabbed Cox, 40, and helped her out. Pieces of her shirt stuck to his coat. He placed her on the ground and told her to roll in order to extinguish residual flames.

His boys, 9 and 11, grabbed a camping blanket and threw it on her.

A neighbor who knew Cox comforted her in the minutes before firefighters arrived.

Lexington Fire Lt. Charles Banta praised the Rogers family.

"Without the prompt action of this family, and the help of neighbors, I do not believe this occupant would have the chance for survival she does right now," he said.

Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Harold Hoskins applauded Rogers for his courage.

"I'd say we'll be inviting him to dinner," Hoskins said in reference to this year's second annual Lexington Fire awards banquet, which will take place at 6 p.m. Jan. 29 at the Embassy Suites, 1801 Newtown Pike.

Firefighters and good Samaritan citizens, including the Rogers family, will be honored.

Rogers said it feels "a little weird" to be recognized for heroism, but hoped this could be used as an example for people to have a fire safety and escape plan.

"I'm just glad we were there," he said.

  Comments