Latest News

Cigarette causes apartment fire; no one injured

An apartment fire on Dinsmore Drive in Lexington was the result of an improperly discarded cigarette, according to Battalion Chief Randy Gilliam of the Lexington Fire Department.

When firefighters responded about 12:15 p.m. Sunday, heavy smoke and flames were coming from Apartment 13 of the Dinsmore Apartments at 2216 Dinsmore Drive, Gilliam said. They were able to contain the blaze to that first-floor apartment.

"It was pretty much a complete loss inside, but the occupant, a single female, escaped unharmed," Gilliam said.

No one was injured, and the occupant is being housed in an empty apartment in the complex.

Janet Patton, jpatton@herald-leader.

  Comments