Latest News

2 staffers sent home after Tuesday explosion at Letcher Central

WHITESBURG — Two maintenance workers injured in an explosion Tuesday at Letcher County Central High School have been sent home from the burn unit at University of Cincinnati Hospital, district Superintendent Anna Craft said Thursday.

Officials have not identify the men.

Craft said she expected to see a final report from the state fire marshal's office investigator on Friday. She said she thinks the high school, which has been closed since Tuesday's explosion, would reopen on Monday.

Fire investigators said Tuesday that the two maintenance workers were repairing a sump pump in a 3-foot concrete pit behind the school. When one worker unplugged a pump, a spark ignited gas that burned the two men. Inspectors were considering whether the gas came from propane lines feeding the school or was methane backing up in the sewer drain.

  Comments